The majority of the time, the Hewlett-Packard printer works awesome because of its easy user interface and superior quality printing. But, unlike any other electronic machine, printers are also bound to strike with technical issues and error problems. One such most prevalent HP Printer issue is the “hp Ink Cartridge Error”. Thankfully, however, this error message can usually be cleared with some basic troubleshooting.
In this blog, we will share some common methods to make your printing experience easier and override HP ink cartridge errors.
HP Printer Ink Cartridge Errors
Following is the list of ink cartridge errors that a user may face during the utilization of an HP printer. When your HP printer does not print and one of the listed errors or messages displays on the printer control panel, you should seek troubleshooting methods to fix these issues immediately:
- Cartridge cannot be used until printer is enrolled
- Cartridge error
- Cartridges in wrong slot
- Cartridge Missing
- Cartridge Problem
- Depleted Ink Cartridge
- Incompatible Cartridge
- Ink Cartridge Failure
- Print cartridge missing or not detected
- Old Generation Cartridge
- Non-HP Chip/Circuitry Detected
The above ink cartridge issues will vary according to your printer and firmware version. HP users are advised to identify their cartridge type before proceeding to troubleshoot the method For More detail regarding your printer’s model ink cartridge visit 123 hp instant ink.
HP Printer Models than can be affected by Ink Cartridge Errors
The “Ink Cartridge Error” can affect various HP printers compatible with the different series of cartridges. We have listed below the HP printer’s model names that can be affected by the Ink cartridge problem:
- HP 907XL, HP 903XL and HP 903 – HP OfficeJet Pro 6950, 6960, 6970, and Pro 6975 All-in-One
- HP 934XL, HP 935XL, HP 934 and HP 935 – HP OfficeJet Pro 6230, ePrinter, and HP OfficeJet Pro 6830 e-All-in-One
- HP 957XL, HP 953XL and 953 – HP OfficeJet Pro 7720, 7730, 7740, 8210, 8218, 8710, 8715, 8716, 8718, 8720, 8725, 8728, 8730, and 8740.
- HP 950XL, HP 951XL and HP 950 – HP OfficeJet Pro 251dw, 276dw, 8100, 8600, 8600, 8600, 8600, 8610, and 8620 e-All-in-One
- HP 970XL, HP 971XL, HP 970 and HP 971 – HP OfficeJet Pro X451DW, X476DW, X551DW, and X576DW
- HP 913A – HP PageWide Pro 352dn, 352dw, 377dn, 377dw, 452dw, 452dwt, 477dw, and 477dwt
The above HP Printer Ink Cartridge Error problem can be fixed by applying certain useful methods and techniques at own or by taking the help of experts. So, if you are an HP printer owner of one of the above HP models take a look at the below troubleshooting steps to resolve your problem instantly.
Error messages on your HP printer will prevent users from printing until you clear the error. Whenever you notice an error message like – “Incorrect Ink Cartridge”, a “Flashing Cartridge Light” meaning a bad color cartridge, or you are told to “Remove the Color Cartridge”, you must fix the issue, reset the printer and remove the error before you can continue.
Troubleshooting Methods for Ink Cartridge Error Problem
Resolve various Ink Cartridge Errors with suggested methods and strategies instantly or seek expert guidance at Hp.123.com/setup:
Methods 1: Resolve Cartridge Missing, Depleted Ink, and Incompatible Cartridge Issue
These errors may appear due to a communication breakdown between the printer and the chip on the cartridge. However, we are explaining here a simple fix. Let’s see:
Step 1: Check the Ink Cartridge Number
To proceed with the following step, one should be sure about the cartridge model numbers that it should match your printer and country or region.
- Firstly, open the door or lid to the cartridge access area. Now, wait until the carriage stops moving before continuing.
- Then you should look at the cartridge labels.
The printer is enrolled in 123 hp Instant Ink.
The cartridges should be marked “Instant Ink”. The numbers on Instant Ink cartridges are different from standard cartridges, and Instant Ink cartridges may be larger. Your printer is designed to work with the cartridges shipped to you by 123 HP Instant Ink. If you see Cartridge cannot be used until the printer is enrolled messages, use HP’s Virtual Agent for quick help, or go to HP Instant Ink support.
The printer is NOT enrolled in Instant Ink.
Go to the HP Store to make sure that the cartridges are compatible. Your printer must be enrolled in Instant Ink to use Instant Ink cartridges.
- Replace any incompatible cartridges.
Step 2: Reset the Printer
In the second step to fix the ink cartridge error, reset the printer by the below steps:
- If your printer has a rechargeable battery, remove it.
- With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the printer.
- Unplug the power cord from the power source.
- Then, wait for 60 seconds before moving further.
- Reconnect the power cord to a wall outlet and to the printer.
- Finally, turn on the printer to complete the reset.
When your print machine is done resetting, move to the next step mentioned below.
Step 3: Clean the Ink cartridge and carriage electrical contacts
Cleaning the cartridge may resolve this issue. Do it by removing any debris or build-up from the cartridges and in the carriage. Let’s begin with the steps:
- Open the door or lid to the cartridge access area. Wait until the carriage stops moving before continuing.
- Remove the cartridge indicated in the error message from the carriage.
- Carriages with cartridge latches: Open<latch
- Carriages without cartridge latches: Gently press down on the cartridge to release it
- Hold the cartridge tightly from both sides and remove any protective tape on the contacts.
- Now lightly dampen a lint-free cloth with distilled water, to wipe the copper-colored contacts on the cartridge.
- Again, dampen lightly a lint-free cloth or swab with distilled water, to clean the electrical contacts in the carriage.
- Now, wait for 10 minutes so that contacts get dry, and then reinsert the cartridge into its color-coded slot.
- You can repeat these steps for the other cartridge if it was indicated in the error message.
- At last you can close the door or lid to the cartridge access area.
Now, you have cleaned your cartridge and carriage electrical contacts and if you are still in trouble, you can proceed with cleaning the cartridge and carriage contacts process a second time.
Step 4: Problematic Ink cartridges must get replaced
Finding problematic ink cartridges and installing a new cartridge to resolve ink-related errors can be a better strategy.
- First get a replacement cartridge. You have two options for this.
- Printer is enrolled in 123 hp Instant Ink. Replacement cartridges are included in your subscription. In case you have another Instant Ink cartridge on hand, you can install it or contact HP support for Ink cartridge for a new one.
- Printer is NOT enrolled in 123 hp Instant Ink. Visit HP Store or 123printersupport.com to find and purchase compatible supplies. We always recommend our users use genuine HP cartridges.
- After replacement, open the door or lid to the cartridge access area and wait until the carriage stops moving before proceeding further.
- Now, check the indication of the error message and remove the cartridge, and insert the new cartridge into the slot.
- You should repeat these steps to replace any other cartridges indicated in the error message.
- And at last, close the door or lid to the cartridge access area, and then follow any instructions to align the printer.
Step 5: Service the Printer
Still facing the same issue even after trying all the methods stated above, now the best option is to service or replacement of your HP product.
Visit 123printersupport.com to schedule a product repair or replacement. Our Customer Support Team can fix this problem more efficiently as they are experts having vast knowledge and experience of many years in dealing with technical issues.
Methods 2: Non-Original Ink Error
A “Non-Original Ink” error may appear when you install the cartridge. But, you can easily get rid of this message by merely pressing the “Proceed”, “Continue”, or “OK”, buttons and then resume the printing process. But, uncertainly you can still get this message, then follow these steps:
- Remove the ink cartridges from the printer.
- Use cotton swabs dipped in warm water or isopropyl alcohol to clean the contacts on the cartridges and carriage.
- After cleaning allow them to dry for several minutes, and place them back into the device again.
We hope that this technique will surely fix your ink error issue with ease and you will be able to take prints out of your HP printer.
Methods 3: Defective Ink Error
The errors “Defective Error” or “Depleted Ink Cartridge” may happen because of the dirt accumulated during the exploitation period.
To override the HP ink cartridge error, follow the steps mentioned:
- Remove and reinstall the indicated cartridge 2-3 times until it firmly seats in the slot. Then turn off the printer and remove all cartridges.
- Gently wipe the contacts on the cartridge and carriage to remove any dirt or residue with a dry lint-free cloth. And replace the cartridge and make sure it clicks securely into the designated slot. The printer is ready to work!
Contact Hp Printer Support For “Hp Ink Cartridge Error”
If this method didn’t help you in getting your HP printer in the normal state, it might be possible that the error must be caused by the recent update. So, in this condition, we advise users to contact HP Official Customer Care Team so that they guide you through the whole process and help them get back to regular printing.
If your printer is not mentioned in the above list, and the problem persists after you have tried everything above it may be that there is a genuine problem with your printer and I would advise getting in touch with HP or a printer technician by Contact us For US.